Guy in butternut from the 40’s with ears.

I’m not quite done with this guy. I have been avoiding him because I have not detailed ears much. A carver messaged me on instagram encouraging me to do ears. I did them and now I know I can do full busts with ears. They are tricky and I have more practice to go to perfect them. Butternut is a trick wood, as the grain chips. I love the look. I’ll be finishing this and will post the final pics.

Projects on the bench March 19

I tried to make a guy kind of smirky.  I don’t think its very realistic even though it is ok.  I want to get into more expressions.

The first couple pics are a Native American I am working on. I will do a head dress and hair tie and/or feather. This was a great piece of Cotton Wood bark from BC Canada.

Looking forward to more time in the shop.

Finishing this Chief

This guy has been a blast to carve.  I, again, tried to slightly turn the head.  I have worked on the nose more since the last pic. I cut down the bridge. It was looking a little bulky. I still have to figure out adding the feathers, without enough room for the whole feather, thus completing the headdress.  I might enter this one in the Bedford Arts Contest in September.  I entered last year and my Green man won the Purchase Award.  The Bedford arts council bought the carving.